Friday, March 17, 2006

List Friday! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No, we aren't completely giving up on Molly's theme from last week --- so bloggers, if you have birthday-themed movies to list, please list in the post below.

But since it's St. Patrick's Day, we should list Irish movies today!

So, this week's theme is:

List movies that are about Ireland in some way!

One caveat - let's not list movies that just have Irish actors in them. That's kinda ridiculous. But if the Irish actor is in a movie that has something about Ireland ... then LIST IT! So, I guess what I'm saying is that your list should contain movies whose plotlines have an Irish theme (ok, ok - it can be an Irish-American theme, as well). But it's about the plot ... not the actors. Cool? Cool.

Ready? Set? POST (comment)!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there...it's 1.05a after St. Patrick's Day (yes I did toast a Guinness to you Molly) and all I can think of is Michael Collins... oh! and that weird version of Ulysses from the 60s.

molly_g said...

Oh, how do I begin? Troy, I loved Michael Collins!

The Crying Game. Wasn't Forrest Whittaker being held by some kind of IRA dude? I can't remember that actor right now, but I saw him strolling down my street once in Dublin.

Some Mother's Son. This is a really good one, about the hungerstrikers in the 80's in Belfast.

My Left Foot

In the Name of the Father

And then, my favorite, and the by far the best (actually a trilogy of sorts from novels by Roddy Doyle) if you want to capture both the north Dublin accent and sense of humor:
The Committments
The Snapper
The Van!!!

Francine said...

The Crying Game (yup... IRA stuff) came to mind immediately.

How about Finnegan's Wake? (leprechauns and all)

Brigadoon (were they Irish or Scottish? I'm 'Merican... so I get confused)

I'll think of more later!

Anonymous said...

Waking Ned Devine is one of my favs.