Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I Still Love the Movies But I Think I Can Quit Oscar!!

I'm completely disappointed that Crash won for best picture. I'm sad and droopy because Heath, Jake, and Joaquin got nothing. I'm thrilled that Brokeback got the adapted screenplay cuz it so deserved it.

But I leave the Oscars disappointed in the entire event...

And now I remember that this happens to me a lot. I don't like it when a movie sweeps all the accolades because I feel sad for the other guys. But I hate it when everything is all spread around so everyone gets a bit of credit and goes home feeling the pat on the back. It's pitiful. It's like making sure that every country in the Olympics gets a medal for something... "Uh.. okay ... you can have the medal for ... ummm... bob-skiing!! Yeah... that's it!"
(See all the categories for sound mixing and sound editing...)
Francine's Grammy aside: I'm STILL confused, and though Peggy tried to explain it, I never did get the difference between "Best Album" and "Best Record").

When it seems like they are trying to make sure no one gets left out... I think it devalues the entire honor. And I felt like the whole thing was devalued this year. Of course, when a movie I LIKE wins, say "Chicago," I seem to let the whole moralistic argument go. So maybe I'm just mad that they didn't pick my movie and award my favorites.

But, I did drive home Sunday night thinking about the year of "The Crying Game" where it got only the screenplay accolades... and the year that "Ghost" made the nominee list (yeah... it's a peeve with me). Or the year that "Chicago" didn't really seem to be THAT good and yet, they picked it. Or the year "Driving Miss Daisy" took the honor over "Born on the Fourth of July" and "My Left Foot."

Maybe I've got a point or... Sigh... maybe they'll vote with me next year.

4 comments:

molly_g said...

It's almost like you have to see them as separate things. There's the Oscars, and then there are all of these amazing movies. One of our big tennets of this blog is that we are not movie snobs. Think of all of the wonderful movies that have never and will never be recognized as Oscar calliber that are actually such a rich part of our culture... Star Wars, Steve Martin movies, Caddyshack, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

A quick perusal of movies that did not win best picture just proves that time and perspective (not to mention memory and respect), and not the best picture win, make a movie legendary. To wit, in 1976,
All the President's Men, Bound for Glory, Network and Taxi Driver all lost to ROCKY.

A few other legendary movies that did not win:

Stagecoach
The Wizard of Oz
The Grapes of Wrath
The Great Dictator
The Philadelphia Story
The Maltese Falcon
It's A Wonderful Life
SUNSET BOULEVARD!!!!
Roman Holiday
To Kill a Mockingbird
Dr. Strangelove
The Graduate
American Graffiti
Apocalypse Now
Breaking Away
Raging Bull
The Color Purple
Sense and Sensibility (Ang Lee's developing a pattern!)
Fargo
and on and on.

Take a look at past winners and nominees sometime, and marvel. How did Sophie's Choice not ever make the short list? Again, why did they leave out Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last year?

So, it's two things. Movies and Oscar. And after this year, it is apparent that never the twain shall meet!!! In the meantime, have fun ridiculing dresses on the red carpet, and keep a list of the good movies to go see...

Peggy said...

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1170378_1||1145818_0_,00.html

You're not alone, Francine. I think Stephen King says it well (of course, it IS Stephen King ...) in the article referenced by the url above.

Francine said...

You two are like my own personal support group!! :-)

Francine said...

King is cool. And I love his article. I'm feeling better now. But, I'm not feeling like giving up my weekly movie blogging!!