Saturday, March 11, 2006

List, um, Saturday?

The Cinema Firmament bloggers have officially finished Oscar season and have quickly moved on to birthday season. Between the bloggers and our collective progeny (and spouses), we will celebrate four birthdays between yesterday and next Friday. Two of those four are birthdays that are divisible by 10, and are thus somehow more "important" (please note bitterness as the writer is one of these, and will be entering her "thirties" on Thursday, as if its a big deal or something, oosh). Personally, I'm most freaked out by Peggy's son C, who launched headfirst into teenagerhood yesterday by turning 13. Whoa. So, in the spirit of the many birthdays, the list of the week is as follows:

What are your top 5 films wherein a birthday is featured?

The birthday thing need not be a central plot point, a la Sixteen Candles, but just a featured thing, such as Ray, in which Ray Charles realizes he's a junkie and will go into detox as a child's birthday party rages on in the back yard. Got it?

Happy Birthday, E, C, Boc, and um, Me.

Ready? Set! Go!

6 comments:

molly_g said...

dude. I guess this was a stinker of an idea, yo.

Peggy said...

Not a stinker - This was a hard one, Molly! But here are my best attempts at a birthday related list ...
*** Parenthood - "Cowboy Dan IS coming."
*** The Jerk - Navin Johnson's birthday party is the catalyst for his adventure! Plus, nothing says "Have a Happy Birthday" like a Twinkie.
*** Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (my favorite birthday scene is in this one - with Dudley and the cake, and Hagrid, and the pig's tail ...)
*** Back to the Future - Isn't it Marty's birthday or something? I can't remember for sure, but I kind of remember the differences in his birthday celebration before and after he visits the Past.
*** Blast from the Past - I love this movie and love the weirdness of Cissy Spacek and Christopher Walken - don't they celebrate a few birthdays in the bomb shelter??? I think so ...
I know there are plenty more - but this was all my feeble brain could come up with this week!

molly_g said...

Fegs, you are right. This is hard. I wrote it thinking specifically about Shortcuts, and Lyle Lovett's baker making threatening calls to the mother of the boy whose cake he had made, but was never picked up...

I'd also thought about Harry Potter.

Per last night's dinner conversation, "It's a sweater!!!" from The Three Amigos.

Traffic. It ends at a child's birthday party.

The Godfather II, which begins at a birthday party, I believe.

I've racked my brain as much as it wants to be racked. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Sixteen Candles, duh!

Anonymous said...

oh hah! I just read the request a little more closely!

Okay so now for a real one... Fellowship of the Ring with Bilbo's fantastic Birthday party.

Duh to me!
I'd better go to bed before I get any dumber, geesh!

Anonymous said...

What about Liar, Liar....isn't that the whole premise of the movie?