Thursday, February 02, 2006

Francine: Capote

I know you haven’t seen it yet… so no “spoilers” but I have to say that I was as haunted by “Capote” as I was by “Brokeback Mountain.”

Did you know that Truman Capote never finished another novel? It was his defining, and final, complete work. The film captures the period of his life that made him iconic and ruined him at the same time.

Hoffman is fabulous in his portrayal and I was both drawn to him and completely horrified by his willingness to exploit the lives of his subjects. In some ways this movie is the “play within a play.” We see in the art of this film, the making of his true crime genre. It captures the innocence of the Midwest rural community and contrasts it with the decadence and sparkling affectation of the New York lifestyle that Capote lived.

Okay… that’s a snapshot. I loved it. I was haunted by it. I was saddened. I think there are a few defining scenes in the movie, both with Harper Lee who was a childhood friend of Truman’s.

As you see it, see what you think about Harper Lee, knowing that the real Harper Lee was a consultant on the film. I think that is SO cool. I want to say more. But I’m stopping.

Maureen… this was more than you wanted to read, huh?

1 comment:

molly_g said...

Wow. I can't wait to see it.