Thursday, February 02, 2006

Fiction vs. Real Life in the Movies

It struck me at lunch the other day (with Peggy actually) that three of the five noms for best picture are “real life” movies.

And I find myself wondering whether it’s easier to recount real life? Whether it’s harder to portray a real person? We treat them as the same genre: the dramatic film. But one is really biography, isn’t it?

I find myself fascinated (weird though it is) in the comparisons. And, I’ll be especially interested as I see more of the movies… And, I’m sure I’ll have more thoughts!

1 comment:

molly_g said...

I would think it is more daunting to play a real person. Think of Cate Blanchette last year playing Kate Hepburn, or Jamie Foxx's Ray Charles. Perhaps that is why they get recognized? To act beyond mimicry?

Hmm. That is a thinker, and we'll have to bring this back up after we've seen the other "true" movies (although, I guess we didn't really know the assassins from Munich as well as Murrow or Capote).