Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Molly's take

1. George Clooney is the next Mel Gibson, and Mel Gibson had some replacing coming, because Mel Gibson has gone bat-shit crazy. The bad news here is that George is not likely to go the way of Mel with Braveheart, as I seriously doubt he can win in either best picture or best director. The good news is that perhaps this means that George will not be going the way of Mel, ever.

2. So happy Jake Gyllenhall got nominated. I'm happy not only because he's my future husband and it's always good to be supportive in situations like that, but because his character was so beautifully nuanced and interesting. I'm three days past seeing Brokeback Mountain, and I'm still occasionally wistful, thinking of the character of Jack Twist, and his relationship with and ownership of his own homosexuality.

3. I completely agree with my sister, below, when she talks about the-normally-gorgeous-actress-goes-ugly-and-therefore-obviously-qualifies-for-best-actress-because-dammit!-lookit!-she's-ugly! thing. I am conflicted, however. I have always really liked Felicity Huffman. I've watched a total of 5 Desperate Housewives episodes, and she is my favorite (I think it's the whole working mom thing). Also, I remember her talking to the press when her hubby, William Macy, was up for best actor for Fargo. She described him as the sexiest man alive, and she said it so sincerely, and I'm a sucker for real marriages in Hollywood, and I think she's in one. Okay, that has NOTHING to do with her acting ability, but I'm honestly endeared. Plus, I don't think I'll have an opportunity to see Transamerica until Netflix can mail it to me. I still think I might root for Reece just because she's a pretty woman who plays a pretty woman, and from all the other awards she's racked up so far, I assume she does it pretty well. What a trailblazer, that Elle Woods.

4. I want to go on record to state that I really really hate "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp," nominated for best song, and from the film, Hustle and Flow. I watched the film on Saturday night, and the song has since been etched in my mind, and NOT in a good way.

5. My first reaction to the five movies nominated for best picture this year was that I was really excited to have to see them all in the next month, but that none of them looked like much "fun." No Chicago, no Shakespeare in Love-like film this year, just unrequited love, relationships between and with murderers, racism, prejudice and commies (or at least, those opposed to those opposed to supposed commies--say that 5 times, fast!). Some might say this is a "intellectual" push by the academy and a victory for independent and otherwise "smaller" films, and I do think it is. What gets under my nails and bugs me until I have to get out the nail file on this one is that the fun movies are incredibly important to film making too. This is very close to getting me to spew on and on about how comedic actors are never included in the Oscars, despite the whole acting their butts off thing, but I will refrain.

6. Go Murderball!

3 comments:

molly_g said...

No, Maureen. You can't come on my honeymoon. You just said you didn't even really like my fiance in his movie. Why don't you go pitch a tent with Ron Howard?

ha ha

Peggy said...

You said pitch a tent, Molly. That's funny.

Francine said...

Jake is adorable... we'll be fighting over the spot in the tent!!
(Which takes me so off track because I saw an HBO commercial spoof of Brokeback and the tent was pretty key...)

Back on track... I too am glad that Jake got nominated. They both did a fabulous job.


And I agree about the lack of fun movies, but if Capote and Brokeback are representative, it's a really exceptional year for films. I realized this year that the Golden Globes have an award category for comedy/musical distinct from the drama. I think that's cool... and right.