Friday, April 14, 2006

List Friday: Bad Movie Season

April is a time in the year where there is a definite decrease in the quality of films in theatres. I think I read somewhere of the last two or three weeks of major studio releases, the majority didn't even have advance screenings for critics, because the movies are so bad.

So, while Hollywood shells out crappy movies in advance of marketing campaigns for the big summer popcorn flicks, most of us wile away our moving image time in the spring in front of the small screen. I'd venture to say that 90% of what's on TV right now is better than 99% of the movies in theatres right now. For instance, given the choice between a marathon of America's Next Top Model (chosen because in the television firmament, it's not good) is innumerably better than spending $10 to see Phat Girls.

This week's List Friday?

Name the television shows you are watching right now, and that you think are generally better than the average movie. Please tell us why you think this....

I could be off base. You might be at the park and not in front of the tube. But I know I've got a few tele-addictions going right now...

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Apparently you and I are the only ones who read or post in this blog anymore, Molls. If others are lurking out there ... I challenge you to leave us a comment to prove your existence! hee hee hee.

So - you already know what I've been watching ... That I would watch The Sopranos, but never have. That I need to rent the season dvds so that I can join the Soprano Society. ;) Ditto with Lost.

What I have managed to catch from the beginning, is Big Love, which is freakishly compelling. And grabs my attention in one hour better than any movie I've watched this year since, well, Munich, I guess.

One of my TV guilty pleasures is The Ghost Whisperer. It's totally NOT scary, and not superbly written or acted, but I've kind of gotten a kick out of dvr'ing it every Friday. I prefer it's gumball entertainment to the inane and ridiculously edited, "Wedding Date," with Debra Messing, anytime.

And, as usual - it's American Idol season. My compulsion for Idol viewing can seriously compete with my Broncomania or my annual Academy Award viewing frenzy. Until the end of May, those who know and love me, know NOT to tie up my phone (except during commercials) on Tuesday or Wednesday nights.

That said, I gotta admit that I'm totally PSYCHED to see the American Dreamz movie (sure hope it's good).

I've gone on long enough ...

molly_g said...

Dude, we are the only ones reading this. That sucks.

We're going to have to ask really hard questions, because we totally already know each others answers for most list fridays. Like, you knew I would say The Sopranos. And I knew you'd bring up both American Idol AND The Ghost Whisperer.

So, uh, where do we go from here?

Francine said...

My TV Show List:

Sopranos
I love Gandolfini and could blog about him for hours. My office mate, Gary Salvucci, has been talking for weeks about the word "Fanook" and they used it on the Sopranos last episode (yelling at Vito as he ran away). None of this is why I watch the show... but I thought it was kind of interesting.

Big Love
Not as compelling as SFU or the Sopranos, but definitely a solid show with moments of brilliance. I read that they want to address some of the really hard issues surrounding polygamy (isolation of women, child abuse, etc). Makes you wonder what the "easy" issues are, huh?

Note of interest... it's the only HBO show completely devoid of swearing. That alone makes it freakishly interesting!

Medium
Why do I watch this show? I don't know. Did anyone ever say Arquette could act? Is the frumpy, mostly sleepy and vague woman in this show considered brilliant acting? And yet, there I am, week after week, watching her wake up next to her cute, sleepy hubby after seeing some death horror. And then I turn off the TV wondering why I watched.

Gilmore Girls
It's my guilty secret. I love the quips. It's only got one more season and I'll hang in there.. I love the characters and how quirky they are. It's just cool. Okay... it's probably not cool... but I'm watching it anyway.

Francine said...

Dr. Who
I totally forgot to mention this new show. I love it. It's campy, has major nods to previous incarnations, and still manages to be fresh.