Monday, November 27, 2006

Cars and Pirates. Pirates and Cars.

Pathetic. I just realized those are the only movies I have seen in the theater since the Oscar season.

I could sit here and tell you my life is really, really difficult and busy; I could come up with 100 excuses as to why I haven't seen any movies - you know, like those "the Phone! the Doorbell! Calgon! Take me Away!" moments? And that would be partially true. It's seriously hard to schedule movie time when #1) your husband hates going to the movies and #2) your schedule is dictated by work and kid and family stuff. Not much I can do about that. But the other truth of the matter, and the one I want to focus on here, is that I'm a bit disillusioned by movies right now.

All of them LOOK good. All of them are advertised with glowing reviews. Not all of them are good, or deserve good reviews. I'm tired of the spin the studios give us. I get excited about seeing a movie right before it comes out. I get wrapped up in the "must see this one" aspect of a movie, or movie ad campaign, eventually don't see it, and then come to the realization that it's ok if I don't see it. Next thing I know, I just don't care anymore. I figure, "I'll see it when it comes out on pay-per-view, or DVD. Or maybe not. No biggie."

There were movies I was excited about, too! Like SoaP, and Superman Returns, and Talledega Nights. I still want to see those. And there are newer films out, still in the theater - like The Departed, The Queen, For Your Consideration, and Stranger Than Fiction, that I want to see, but most-likely will NOT see in the theater unless they get noms for Oscars and we see them in our manic rush to see all the nominated films before the Oscar telecast.

It is pathetic. I am pathetic. It depresses the heck out of me, makes me wish that Hollywood could focus on making fewer films so as to focus on the quality of those few ... And that they wouldn't spin the marketing so much. It also makes me wish there were more days in a week. You know, the Eighth Day. "And on the Eighth Day, God opened movie theaters for us and we watched movies and they were good."

As November turns into December, I know that realistically I will not see any movies until after Christmas. That's ok. But maybe my New Year's Resolution for 2007 will be to MAKE SURE to see at least one movie per month. What do you think?

1 comment:

Francine said...

I'm totally with you! I wanted to see all kinds of movies... they were (or are) "on my list." And yet, I never get to them. It's quite sad. I'm actually still trying to see all of King Kong (I've seen about half of it... lame lame lame).

I think the hype is really weird. They advertise so early that you have to mark your calendar. "In January, let's go see that great new movie they're advertising." Then, by January, you've FORGOTTEN all about it.

I want to see "Stranger Than Fiction." If it had come out within two weeks of my first preview viewing, I'd have seen it right away. Now... I've seen the ads on TV so often it's like a razor commercial. ubiquitous. I'll see it when I see it.

I wanted to see the Prestige... and forgot about it too. And how could I forget about those two cute men? Dunno. It happened.

The good news is 1) It's the holiday season (music in background) and we all have really fun stuff to do for a while, 2) January is a boring month except for football and movies... so the Oscars are timed just right.

We'll be all excited soon... I guarantee!